Tengendai Skiing Adventures 2004-2006
May add more pictures.
Tengendai is near Yonezawa, Japan.
Skied Tengendai in February and March 2004, and again on 12/16/05.
On the 2005 trip, I saw a group of Macaque snow monkeys from the bus on the way down from Tengendai. Felt tremors from the earthquake early Saturday morning.
Yonezawa lies in a beautiful mountain valley at 800 ft. After a bus ride from Yonezawa, it is necessary to ride a ropuway (cable car) to get to the first chair lift. There are 3 serial chair lifts. Often the top lift is not operated.
Base of 1st chair lift: 4289 ft.
Base of 2nd chair lift: 4679 ft.
Base of 3rd chair lift: 5169 ft.
Top of 3rd chair lift 5935 ft.
These measurements were made with my Garmin etrex Legend.
If the 3rd lift is not operating, the drop is only about 800 feet. On my second visit (only) the 3rd lift was operating, and it snowed powder all day. This was my first experience with powder, and I enjoyed it very much. At one poing, I fell, and could not see the horizon. I could not touch the bottom with my ski pole, with my arm fully extended into the snow.
When there is enough snow, there is a very narrow and treacherous trail from the top of the ropuway to the bottom, that looks interesting.
February 2006. Skied the trail all the way to the bottom of the cable car. From the highest point to the bottom of the cable car makes a total drop of over 3000 feet. My attitude about Tengendai has improved.
|Week-day bus schedule from Yonezawa train station to Tengendai. Cost was 740 yen, one way.|
|Cafe and Hotel above the Ropuway (Cable car). This is near the start of lift 1.|
My skiing in the US:
- Recent Skiing
- 2006-2007 Skiing - US & Japan
- 2005-2006 Skiing - US & Japan
- 2004-2005 Skiing
- 2003-2004 Skiing - US & Japan
- 2002-2003 Skiing - Tahoe area resorts. First time ever skiing!
My skiing in Japan
- Tengendai, Japan - Pictures, data, and bus schedule
- Yonezawa, Japan - Yonezawa Ski Park
- Zao, Japan - Pictures, data, and bus schedule
- Zao Mountain web site - in Japanese
- Tengendai - in Japanese
- Snow Japan
- Skiing in Japan
- Ski Central - search and index site for skiers and snowboarders
- GoSki - definitive guide to the world's snowiest spots
- SkiMaps - trail maps
- United States Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) - home of the U.S. Ski Team
- International Ski Federation - official site
- Ski.com - resort and weather information, live cameras, equipment, and more
- Ski Magazine - skiing lifestyle publication
- Away.com Ski Guide
Copyright © 2006 - Dale Stenseth. All rights reserved. These pages may be freely linked to, but may not be duplicated in any manner without the author's express consent.